Series 6: Definition, Requirements, Advantages And Disadvantages
Published: January 27, 2024
Learn all about Series 6 in finance, including its definition, requirements, advantages, and disadvantages. Increase your financial knowledge and make informed decisions.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for LiveWell, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Series 6: Definition, Requirements, Advantages, and Disadvantages
Welcome to our “FINANCE” category, where we dive deep into various topics related to managing your finances, investing wisely, and understanding the intricate world of finance. In this blog post, we will explore Series 6, a certification that plays a crucial role in the financial industry. Whether you’re a seasoned investor or just starting on your financial journey, understanding what Series 6 entails can provide you with valuable insights and opportunities. So let’s get started!
- Series 6 is a securities license that allows financial professionals to sell certain investment products to clients.
- It is administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and requires passing an examination.
What is Series 6?
Series 6 is a professional certification designed for individuals who wish to work as financial professionals selling investment products such as mutual funds, variable annuities, and unit investment trusts. It is administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), which acts as a self-regulatory organization overseeing securities firms operating in the United States. The Series 6 exam tests candidates’ knowledge in areas such as investment company securities, retirement plans, regulations, and ethics.
Requirements for Series 6
To become a Series 6 licensed professional, individuals must meet certain requirements set by FINRA. These requirements include:
- Being sponsored by a FINRA member firm: Before sitting for the exam, candidates must find employment with a registered broker-dealer who will sponsor their application.
- Completing the Form U4: The candidate and sponsoring firm must submit a Uniform Application for Securities Industry Registration or Transfer (Form U4) to FINRA, providing relevant information regarding the candidate’s background and financial history.
- Passing the Series 6 exam: The candidate must pass the Series 6 examination with a score of 70% or higher to obtain the certification.
Advantages of Series 6
Obtaining a Series 6 certification offers several advantages for financial professionals:
- Expanded career opportunities: Series 6 certification opens doors to a wider range of job opportunities in the financial industry. It enables professionals to work as registered representatives and sell various investment products to clients.
- Greater credibility: Having a Series 6 certification demonstrates expertise and knowledge in investment products. It provides clients with confidence in the financial professional’s abilities, enhancing credibility and trust.
- Increased earning potential: With the ability to sell investment products, Series 6 professionals can earn commissions and potentially increase their income.
Disadvantages of Series 6
While Series 6 offers numerous advantages, it’s important to be aware of potential drawbacks:
- Limitations on product offerings: Series 6 professionals are restricted to selling certain types of investment products, which may limit their ability to offer comprehensive investment advice.
- Ongoing regulatory requirements: Maintaining a Series 6 license requires adherence to regulatory obligations, including continuing education and compliance with industry regulations.
In conclusion, Series 6 is a valuable certification for professionals aiming to work in the financial industry, specifically selling investment products. It provides individuals with the knowledge and credibility needed to excel in their careers. However, it’s essential to consider both the advantages and disadvantages before pursuing this certification. If you wish to explore opportunities in the investment sales field, obtaining a Series 6 license may be a great step towards achieving your goals.